Reset Windows 10/ Windows 8 Password using a bootable Windows USB. If you forgot your Windows password and you don’t remember it, then try to grab a Windows 10 or Windows 8 bootable USB or DVD and follow this step-by-step tutorial on how to reset Windows 10 / Windows 8 password.
Windows boot menu
- Plug in your Windows 8 or Windows 10 bootable USB or DVD.
- Go to Windows boot menu by pressing F12 (TOSHIBA, ACER, DELL) and F9 (HP).
- Select your bootable device from the boot menu list (my case USB in pic below).
- Press Enter.
- In Windows Setup click on “Next”.
- Click on “Repair your Computer”.
- Select “Troubleshoot”.
- Click on “Command Prompt”.
- In Command Prompt Windows type the following command (Make sure your spelling and spaces are correct).
- C: (press enter).
- cd windows (press enter).
- cd system32 (press enter).
- copy utilman.exe utilman1.exe (press enter).
- copy cmd.exe cmd1.exe (press enter).
- del utilman.exe (press enter).
- rename cmd.exe utilman.exe (press enter).
- exit (press enter).
- Click on “Turn off your PC”.
Ease of Access
- Power on your computer without connecting any bootable device.
- Now click on “Ease of Access” icon on your Windows bottom right side.
- Command Prompt Windows will pop up.
- Type the following command in Command Prompt.
- Control userpasswords2 (press enter).
- In User Accounts you can reset your password, you can also remove your old password completely.
Reset Password in User Accounts
- Let’s reset our Windows password with a new one.
- Click on “Reset Password”.
- Type your “New password”.
- Re-Type same password to “Confirm new password”.
- Click on “OK” to save changes.
- Now type your new password in Windows 10 or Windows 8 login account.
- And it will let you pass to your Windows account.
This is how you can Reset Windows 10/ Windows 8 Password. Any questions? go to our Community Support Forum.
Please Like & Share this post, it might help someone else to access their Windows and their important data.